justanotherbookguy

justanotherbookguy

Hurt: Inside the World of Today's Teenagers
Chap Clark
The Devil in the White City: Murder, Magic, and Madness at the Fair That Changed America
Erik Larson
Law and Gospel: How to Read and Apply the Bible
C.F.W. Walther

Youth Ministry 3.0: A Manifesto of Where We've Been, Where We Are & Where We Need to Go - Mark Oestreicher Youth Ministry 3.0 is a very insightful book for anyone interested in what is going on with youth culture right now. It talks about three very distinct times in the "life" of youth ministry."Marko", as the author is called, talks about the different youth culture fixations, cultural influences, key themes, drivers, and theme verses for each of the 3 "versions" of youth ministry through the years.

Youth Ministry 1.0 is the original. Here is the breakdown for you:

Cultural Influence on Youth Ministry: Contextualization
Key Themes: Communion and Mission
Driver: Not Driven, but Present
Theme Verse: Acts 2:44-46a and John 17:18

This is just a brief overview of what is covered in this book. If you are someone that works with kids for a living, in any setting, you need to pick up this book and give it a read. It is one of those books that really makes you look at what you are doing in your ministry. I know that it has prompted me to change some of the ways that I do things.

**Information for the breakdown was taken from: Youth Ministry 3.0 by Mark Oestreicher, Youth Specialties, Copyright 2008